Friday, March 6, 2009

The Book of Negroes wins "Canada Reads" Today


"When The Book of Negroes emerged today as the winner of this year's Canada Reads showdown on CBC-Radio, it was but the latest in a series of triumphs for Burlington author Lawrence Hill's 2007 bestseller. Set in the 18th century and involving the story of a young African girl who regains her freedom after being sold into slavery, The Book of Negroes previously won the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize in 2007 and the Commonwealth Writers' Prize a year later. The recognition boosted the book's sales past the 100,000 mark in Canada, while helping its publication launch in the U.S., the U.K. and elsewhere. "
This book is on my summer wishlist. I'm keeping a list of all of the books that have been recommended to me and I hope to eventually get to all of them (I also have a list of all the tasks I have to do to make my house neat and tidy, but this will have to give, in order to support goal above).
My friend Becky suggests that this book be read incrementally as the contents are disturbing and have the tendency to overwhelm the soul.
Heeding her sage advice, my plan is to read this book during the late summer afternoons when the sky turns orange and the lake quiets down, in a place that constantly reminds me of just how privileged I am to be free, secure and at peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment