Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Tudor Book Challenge

This challenge is being hosted by Michelle from Benedictionary. From January 1-December 31, 2010, participants are asked to read books about or inspired by the Tudor era of the English Monarchy.

I liked that the rules were flexible in that I can select my reading format which is most likely going to be mainly from my Sony e-reader. The selections can also overlap with other challenges that I have joined and can be fiction or non fiction texts.


I have finally collected all of Philippa Gregory's texts and have blogged in the past about how the movie The Other Boleyn Girl actually led me to the author. I wanted to read her novels in their historical order, and now I'm finally ready. The Literate Housewife has posted some great suggestions of books that can be read alongside Gregory's books that pertain to the specific people and time periods of which she writes. Another great resource is the Tudor Books Resource as listed on Benedictionary.


I am entering this challenge as a commoner which is a 5 book commitment. I hope to read the following books:


1. The Constant Princess


2. The Other Boleyn Girl


3. The Boleyn Inheritance


4. The Queen's Fool


5. The Virgin's Lover


6. The Other Queen
I have to admit that I have not yet seen the TV series, The Tudors. Many of my friends have raved about it to me. I think that what I'll do is rent a season at a time - but not until the summer - and this will give me time to read the books first.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy! The new year is here and The Tudor Book challenge has begun. I wish you luck in your pursuit of wonderful Tudor literature this year.

I have posted an official roster of participants in The Tudor Book Challenge. You can find that here.

http://benedictionary.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/tudor-book-challenge-official-roster/

When you finish a Tudor book and review it, please provide me a link there so I can update your progress for the prizes we are giving away. Happy historical readings in 2010!

Post a Comment